Important Data Security Announcement
Monday 28th January 2019
SkoolBag is committed to providing a safe and secure platform for all users. Throughout 2018 we made several security and technology enhancements to the platform. This will continue in 2019.
What has occurred?
It has come to our attention that limited encrypted login information from our platform has been compromised as part of a recent internet-wide security incident. As soon as we discovered the compromised data, we took immediate steps to engage data security experts and secure the platform.
What is Skoolbag doing to keep your data safe?
We have found no evidence of unauthorised access to our platform using the compromised information. The SkoolBag security team will continue to monitor for any unauthorised access or activity and will notify you if anything is discovered. As a precautionary measure, we have reset the passwords of all our Admin account holders. Admin users will be prompted automatically to change their passwords when they next log in.
We take the data security of all our SkoolBag customers seriously and are dedicated to continued ongoing investment and improvement of our systems and security processes.
What can you do to keep your data safe?
Although there is no evidence you are at risk, we felt it was important as part of our commitment to privacy and transparency to inform you about this incident. We would like to remind you of some general security precautions you can take to mitigate any threat of unauthorised use of your personal details. These include:
- Update your password within SkoolBag to be a strong password using letters, numbers and symbols.
- Ensure you use unique passwords on each system you use online. This ensures if one is compromised that your other data remains secure.
- Maintain a close watch on your email traffic to avoid potential phishing emails which might be attempting to access your personal information or seeking confirmation of logins.
- Be aware of telephone calls for businesses or institutions requesting your personal details.
- Avoid opening attachments from unknown senders on email or social media.
- Install and keep up-to-date anti-virus software on your machines. Backup your data including photos and music.